PART 1: THE BLESSINGS OF CONFESSION:
WATCH THE MESS
We have some discussion questions to go along with the video.
- What was the world like before Jesus?
- In what ways does God show us how he loves us?
- What does the word confession mean to you?
- What is a sin?
- Why did God send his Son Jesus to us?
- Who is Jesus to You? Why?
PART 2 : THE 10 COMMANDEMENTS
Read over the 10 Commandments below.
How easy are these to do?
Which ones are more difficult?
Think of ways that you can follow these commandments, or maybe some ways that somebody might break them.
1. You shall honour no other god but me.
There is only one God who made us – only He should be honored above all. Think about God every day, put him first in everything you do. Remember to say your prayers.
2. You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God.
God’s name is Holy. Use His name in giving thanks and giving praise. Don’t use His name or the names of Holy things because you are mad.
3. Remember to keep the Lord’s day Holy.
Go to Mass in-person on the Lord’s day – Sunday (or watch online during a pandemic!), and let God know how much you love Him and are thankful for all you have. Keep this day free from hard work, spend it with your family.
4. Honour your father and your mother.
Obey your parents, right away and with as much of a smile as you can muster! Help out at home, always use kind words when speaking to your parents and be thankful for all they do for you.
5. You shall not kill.
Treat people with respect. Keep an eye on your anger. Explaining your feelings is fine, acting out in violence is not. Everyone is a child of God and deserving of respect from the moment of creation (in their mother’s womb) to the day they take their last breath.
6. You shall not commit adultery.
(Parents: Here is the part where your kid asks what adultery is. The easiest way to answer is to say that adultery is a word adults use when two people who are married break their promises to each other. You can elaborate on chasity when they are older.)
Respect your family, remember, your family is Holy.
7. You shall not steal.
Don’t take things that belong to others. Return things you borrow and treat them with respect. Go out of your way to share.
8. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbour.
Don’t tell lies or make up stories about other people. Don’t gossip or tell stories about other people behind their back. Always use kind words to describe others and give people the benefit of the doubt.
9. You shall not covet your neighbour’s wife.
Don’t be jealous of other friendships. Each person is wonderful in their own way. Be glad that we can have many friends to share our love and friendship with.
10. You shall not covet your neighbour’s goods.
Don’t be jealous of what other people have. Be thankful for what God has given you.
Part 3: The Examen – A daily practice
Taking the time to pause and mindfully think about our day is an important spiritual practice that Christians of all walks of life have practiced. Try the following as a new habit before you go to bed each night (you may want to do this out loud – together with your mom or dad – some parts might just be between you and Jesus):
1. Imagine Jesus sitting next to you, smiling.
2. Tell Jesus about your day. Name at least one thing that made you joyful, one thing that made you feel peaceful.
3. Tell Jesus about one thing that made you sad or worried (if something made you sad or worried).
4. Is there anything in your day that you are not proud of – that in looking at Jesus you wish you didn’t do? Maybe you reflect on the 10 commandments. Do you want to say sorry for anything? Jesus is just waiting to forgive you.
5. Think about how much God loves you. You can imagine Him giving you a big hug and blessing you. Maybe you want to use some holy water to bless yourself. Go to sleep knowing you have the love and blessing of Jesus.
Part 4: Picture of yourself
It’s time to get your picture and get it ready to be shown in church. We will be posting this picture so that all the parishioners can pray for you on your journey.
You will need:
- A current picture of yourself
- A marker
- A glue stick
- Cardstock or coloured paper
- Cut your cardstock or coloured paper to be wider than your picture.
- Glue your picture in the center of your paper.
- Write your name up top in big bold letters.
- Decorate around your picture.
Please send a picture of the finished decorated picture.
Part 5: Prayers to practice and know
Our Father, who are in heaven, hallowed be thy name
Thy kingdom come,
thy will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven
Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses,
As we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
Hail Mary, full of grace
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed are you
And blessed is the fruit
of your womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God
Pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death.
Glory to the Father
and to the Son,
and to the Holy Spirit;
As it was in the beginning,
is now and will be forever.
ACT OF CONTRITION
I love you with all my heart
and I am sorry for my sins.
Please forgive me.
I promise not to sin again.
Help me always
to be more like you.